Sign in to follow this  

Arma 3 and arma 2

8 posts in this topic

Guest stewart

with some servers having mas weapons and vehicles wouldn't it be revolutionary to combine all these into one mod, if we can get it developed were it comes together as one mod in exhile, This would not only make it easier to download and make servers easier to run with compatibility but we could also add vehicles that havnt even been thought of yet in arma 3 such as the F35b or the av8-b fighter jets, strykers armoured personnel vehicles, Just my opinion but something like this would be epic.

Its not as easy as just combing everything. You need the individual developers permission etc. Also when updates are released for exile its more hassle to download MAS/RHS whatever every single update. 

The main ethos of the developers is to keep Exile as a platform for server owners to build off. Adding all the mods you speak of. 

On a side-note/plug you should check out sp4r.com, its the closest to an Arma2 server in Arma3 ive seen. Really great server. 

Edited by GET IN THE FUCKING SEA
  • Like 1

Advertisement

While I agree with the development of this mod being used as a framework for server admins to hang their own scripts and features from, I must admit I feel that the mod should encourage as much as possible client side scripts, or at least try to standardise some key content features (such as weapon & vehicle content) that require large server/client downloads. 

I think in reality you're only talking one decent weapon pack (there's plenty out there!) and probably one or two vehicle packs and leave it at that for the sake of those who aren't too fussed and want to keep the mod download size down. If server owners want to add more on beyond that i'd say go for it, but if you cover the majority of the community with a handful of acceptable sized packs that's an incredible compromise for everyone.  

While I agree with the development of this mod being used as a framework for server admins to hang their own scripts and features from, I must admit I feel that the mod should encourage as much as possible client side scripts, or at least try to standardise some key content features (such as weapon & vehicle content) that require large server/client downloads. 

I think in reality you're only talking one decent weapon pack (there's plenty out there!) and probably one or two vehicle packs and leave it at that for the sake of those who aren't too fussed and want to keep the mod download size down. If server owners want to add more on beyond that i'd say go for it, but if you cover the majority of the community with a handful of acceptable sized packs that's an incredible compromise for everyone.  

Again you're assuming A) The mod makers will just allow you to incorporate their hardwork for nothing? and B) people want to download 3-4Gb every update. 

• Like 1

Again you're assuming A) The mod makers will just allow you to incorporate their hardwork for nothing? and B) people want to download 3-4Gb every update. 

A)  I cant see it being too much of an issue as it showcases their mods and other mods have previously done this successfully so there are clearly some mod producers who haven't got a problem with it. To be fair, as I said, there's plenty of free packs out there so odds are some is going to be cool with it. 

B) Absolutely. I cant see 4-5gb being an issue if it helps standardise a mod. In fact it's already proven successful on countless mods on ARMA 2 and 3, as well as other games. Gamers take their connections seriously, as seriously as their graphics card selections these days, and I'd say the majority of ARMA 3 players already have connections more than capable of downloading these patches (christ look at the size of some of the official patches - cant see many of our 56k players even considering ARMA!).

As I've said in another thread regarding content, it's actually more efficient for the mod to do this. The players could potentially download more than 5gb a hundred times over trying to find the right server anyway. It's much better for the community to standardise a bit of content and have everyone singing from the same hymm sheet. That way the mod is more accessible and has enough content out the box to draw players to the mod. If other servers want more or better content, then sure let them have additional packs, but I think it's an acceptable compromise to avoid diluting or fragmenting the community to isolated pockets of players playing mods of mods of mods. Adding content negates large portions of servers having to runt heir own versions and combinations of server/client mods, which is a good thing.

I heard a while back that once they are finished with the mod and it is stable with everything implemented they may then add weapons and vehicles but for now they are trying to keep the mod stable and a small download.

I raised a topic of it's own discussing content and they have basically confirmed content will be added, which is good news. I agree that base game features should naturally be considered priority for development, it's not a case of it going in at the cost of other features or stability, but to me this is a relatively easy fix that will really improve the game. It's a welcome addition regardless of when it comes.

The topic the devs fed back on (and my opinions on why it is important) can be found here: http://exile.majormittens.co.uk/topic/5548-content/

Advertisement