Newport

First time (sorry)

9 posts in this topic

Good evening. I'm thinking I want a server but I'm concerned about adding missions and such. I'm looking at  this provider https://www.myblackboxhosting.com/arma3-exile-mod-server-hosting/ as my host. I want to have a busy server, with lots of missions, high loot and plenty of mods. Is this difficult? I am indeed an amateur. Am I out of my league? Example question, can I create base spawning easily? Things of this nature. Have a good night and thank you. 

Setting this stuff up is actually quite simple, I personally recommend Defents mission system, it gives you a lot of the ai missions. As for setting the loot spawns, when I last worked on a server, it was a little more in depth I’m talikng sifting through loottables and all that fun stuff. That and modding is where it starts to get a little more difficult, with mods you need to set them up by the item in the loot tables and if it’s for example, Ryan’s zombies and demons, you would need to set their spawn points in the eden editor.

Personally I am very busy, but when I have some free time I’d be able and willing to talk you through setup and can teach you what you need to know to get the server going.

Advertisement

Sweet, thank you! I have some experience, even with scripting in the editor. The server host, it seems, cuts out much of the basic stuff with selectable mods and maps. I worry about changing money values and high loot, mostly. And base building but it seems those mods are available for install with purchase. Hmm, I may do it. 

Stop! Do not buy anything yet. Download all the Exile files, setup a personal server on your computer, and figure out how to do everything first. Once you have an idea of what you're doing, then go spend money on a host.

• Like 3

It feels easier to purchase the server and work on it from there. I'm good in the workshop and understand adding mods, however I'm not good at adding things manually. I'm sure there are many instructional videos but I need instant satisfaction on this one. And what's up with Fallujah? I can't find any Exile on this map. Badass map. 

adding mods to a server is not overly difficult, many being as easy as dropping a pbo onto the server. if more is required, the good mods have detailed install instructions, and there is always google and youtube.

as for Fallujah, while its a good CQB map, im not sure it would lend itself to base building and missions

Edited by dekela

So, if the server provider offers easy access to the SQL through the control panel and I understand which mods I need, I should be good to go? Sounds easy enough. Final thoughts? 

26 minutes ago, Beowulfv said:

You're gonna end up learning things the hard way, but it's your money.

Honestly personally for me, it would simply be easier picking up an exile server from a provider, setting up an SQL database has always been a pain in the butt for me personally. But I recommend going through a provider as a star before getting into your own servers simply because it would be easier to learn using their stuff and even some of their forums.

Advertisement