Hockeybear82

Looking for help putting a complicated server together

18 posts in this topic

I was going to put together a server a few months back, but the person who was supposed to help me ended up scamming me.  He was a moderator named Mezo.  He took my money and ran because he insisted he get payed upfront because he supposedly got scammed before.  I took a chance and tried to be a good empathetic person and got burned by the piece of shit.  By the way his name is -snip-, do not trust him, he owes me over 200 dollars.  He left the exile team when he was confronted with his actions, but he could still be around under a different name.

Anyways, I am looking to get back into this game again and put together a really kick ass exile server with somebodies help.  What I'm looking for:  Somebody who knows how to program and knows how to edit mods.  I will pay for the help, but if you think I am going to pay upfront, it is not going to happen.  I am not the kind of person who will scam anybody, but I understand there are people out there who don't care and won't help without getting paid first.  I get it, but I'm not ever doing that again.  I thought I could trust somebody who was supposed to be a trusted moderator and I lost money.  It will be steam workshop mods and A3 mods only.

I am also looking to make a server that is better than the -snip- server.  I think the customizing I have in mind with the mods will make for an experience that apparently doesn't exist on a lot of server out there.  Too many cookie cutter exile servers out there.  Nothing against the mod, but it was designed to be customizable and it just seems that nobody wants to put in the time and effort to make it their own.  I believe if I find the right person or people to help, it will be a great experience.

• Like 1

Don't take this as me being rude or a prick, but you REALLY should learn how to do things yourself if you wish to make an Exile server. You have already felt the pain of relying on someone else. The main reasons for this is because you need to know when something is updated (i.e. ARMA) it has a tendency to break things. Things WILL break and mods will need updating. I wrote an awesome guide that can get you pointed in the right direction. 

• Like 1

Advertisement
10 minutes ago, Super Jerome said:

Don't take this as me being rude or a prick, but you REALLY should learn how to do things yourself if you wish to make an Exile server. You have already felt the pain of relying on someone else. The main reasons for this is because you need to know when something is updated (i.e. ARMA) it has a tendency to break things. Things WILL break and mods will need updating. I wrote an awesome guide that can get you pointed in the right direction. 

I understand what you are saying, but I don't learn well from reading.  I learn from doing and it is hard to do this when you don't know what you are doing.  I have done some editing in notepad++, but again, that is far from knowing the ins and outs of editing and custom programming.

I've heard this before and I don't need anybody else to chime in on the "learn how to do it yourself" train.

I'm glad you have a guide and I hope it is helping people out there, but I don't need anybody to come in and tell me to figure it out yourself.  How would you feel if every time you were online looking for some experienced help with something somebody came in and told you to figure it out for yourself.  Doesn't that kind of take away from the act of actively seeking help or a service?

Hey, I really need help with surgery for my brother, could you ask around and see if there is anybody out there who wouldn't mind helping out some poor people.  Reply:  Here, read this book and just do it yourself and stop being a lazy dumbass...

Maybe you could word it differently for people and say, "hey, if you can't find anybody to help, check out this guide.  I hope it helps".  Do you get what I mean?

You can't compare making an Exile server to surgery. Owning/Making an Exile server is optional. I learned on my own how to do this. When I hit a roadblock I asked the community. The community is here to help you do things not to do it for you. I would be glad to teach you, it is more than I was ever offered. I am just trying to get you the help you need and not the help you want.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Super Jerome said:

You can't compare making an Exile server to surgery. Owning/Making an Exile server is optional. I learned on my own how to do this. When I hit a roadblock I asked the community. The community is here to help you do things not to do it for you. I would be glad to teach you, it is more than I was ever offered. I am just trying to get you the help you need and not the help you want.

Sir, I'm glad you learned some things on your own and then with some help from the community.  That is fine, I'm glad that worked for you, but it isn't really cool for you to presume to tell me what I need and that I can't have what I want/[am looking for].  I'm looking for somebody to help the way I asked with description and am willing to pay for expert help.  I don't understand why you felt the need to tell me that I can't do this especially since you don't even know me.  If you want to interject, lets please keep it respectful.

If you don't like what I wrote, just move along, okay?

9 minutes ago, Hockeybear82 said:

Sir, I'm glad you learned some things on your own and then with some help from the community.  That is fine, I'm glad that worked for you, but it isn't really cool for you to presume to tell me what I need and that I can't have what I want/[am looking for].  I'm looking for somebody to help the way I asked with description and am willing to pay for expert help.  I don't understand why you felt the need to tell me that I can't do this especially since you don't even know me.  If you want to interject, lets please keep it respectful.

If you don't like what I wrote, just move along, okay?

Tried to be polite, but you really make it difficult. I have said my piece, you don't like it oh well. Keep getting screwed over for all I care. Good day to you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Super Jerome said:

Tried to be polite, but you really make it difficult. I have said my piece, you don't like it oh well. Keep getting screwed over for all I care. Good day to you.

Okay man, have a good one.

@Hockeybear82 You should give the guide that Super Jerome a go at least. The guide makes it pretty easy to setup & install mods / scripts. He was right in saying that you will need to know your server every Arma3 or Exile update. You server will break at an update.

If you really don't want to learn how to add mod / scripts there are server host companies you can tick a box & pay per script. You will be at their mercy every update to upgrade & fix your server.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2017 at 2:08 AM, Hockeybear82 said:

I was going to put together a server a few months back, but the person who was supposed to help me ended up scamming me.  He was a moderator named Mezo.  He took my money and ran because he insisted he get payed upfront because he supposedly got scammed before.  I took a chance and tried to be a good empathetic person and got burned by the piece of shit.  By the way his name is Charlie Mciloney, do not trust him, he owes me over 200 dollars.  He left the exile team when he was confronted with his actions, but he could still be around under a different name.

Anyways, I am looking to get back into this game again and put together a really kick ass exile server with somebodies help.  What I'm looking for:  Somebody who knows how to program and knows how to edit mods.  I will pay for the help, but if you think I am going to pay upfront, it is not going to happen.  I am not the kind of person who will scam anybody, but I understand there are people out there who don't care and won't help without getting paid first.  I get it, but I'm not ever doing that again.  I thought I could trust somebody who was supposed to be a trusted moderator and I lost money.  It will be steam workshop mods and A3 mods only.

I am also looking to make a server that is better than the FMG server.  I think the customizing I have in mind with the mods will make for an experience that apparently doesn't exist on a lot of server out there.  Too many cookie cutter exile servers out there.  Nothing against the mod, but it was designed to be customizable and it just seems that nobody wants to put in the time and effort to make it their own.  I believe if I find the right person or people to help, it will be a great experience.

First of all. Mezo is a piece of shit i'll say that gladly. But we have 2 rules on this forum and 1 is no name and shame and i'm sure the other one should be obvious server advertisement. I'll remove those 2 pieces from your post.

Advertisement