BetterDeadThanZed

Placement of flags/indestructible stuff

32 posts in this topic

This has come up on my forums so I thought I'd start a thread to present this to the team.

Right now players can place flags into existing map buildings and no one can get to it. Also, from what I've been told, the wooden support is indestructible, so people can also put flags in there. Is there a way to add a check to see if the player is attempting to place a flag inside of a building where it can't be touched? For example, on Esseker I found a building that had a fireplace. I was able to put the flag inside there and the only part that was sticking out was at the top. Also, can the wooden supports be made destructible, if they truly are indestructible right now?

If it's not possible to prevent players from putting the pole inside of a building's walls, is there something that can be done that would require a player to interact with their flag pole? Maybe make some sort of requirement that after they pay their protection, they have to do something at their flag pole?

• Like 4

Advertisement

I've seen about 3 bases on Esseker inside those barn buildings with flags that weren't accessible because the base of the pole clipped into the floor and ground. I report them when I see them. People build a lot of floating wooden pieces with the flag on top which I also think should be banned.

The problem is, having a function that you have to do at the flagpole will not alleviate the issue itself.  Base owners can remove and replace at their will.  This would honestly change nothing with glitching of flags into buildable items because of that simple fact.  It still happened when you needed to upgrade your flag at your pole. What needs to happen is have some kind of check to determine if the flag pole itself is "buried" in something, and prevent it altogether.  Whether that be while placing down a flag into a map object, or players trying to build overtop of a flagpole.  This is a tricky thing to do at the moment, because 90% of all bases across all servers have their flag build through a floor at some point (as the flag currently sits @ over 2 stories high, some players only encase them 1 or 2 stories to protect from a flag steal)

To be perfectly honest, it is not really that hard to enforce a rule that prevents this from happening. Post a rule that any buildable objects on a flag base, or sinking it into something will lead to a ban,   If that doesn't curb the specific base, delete the flag next time.  Wait for a player to report it, and deal with the issue.  Only takes a couple and the rest fall in line.  This is typical across pretty much any servers I have played on.  

Edited by FluffyBunnyFee
  • Like 1

my guess is it's only on the Esseker or any other A2/ported map (except Namalsk).  I haven't seen it happen on Altis nor Tanoa, could be wrong if so correct me, but i doubt i'm wrong.

Edited by STONEY-DSP

I'm pretty sure that stopping flags from being glitched into buildings and terrain is not possible. Thus my suggestion of moving the payment for your territory from the office trader to the flagpole itself. If they have to pay at the flagpole, it needs to remain accessible.

@FluffyBunnyFee I'm pretty sure you can not move your flagpole once you place it.

Making rules to tell players where they can place their flags has one big problem in my opinion. New players join the server, start grinding and they place a flag and work on a base being oblivious to the rule about the flag. You're going to destroy all the work they just did? Yeah, you can say "They should read the rules on the community's website" but let's face it, people don't join random servers and then immediately hit up their website for the rules. Admins can choose to make those rules and enforce them on their servers if they want, but you're going to lose players doing that because you're destroying their bases they worked on and/or they like to glitch their flag into something. In the end, it doesn't solve the problem.

29 minutes ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

I'm pretty sure that stopping flags from being glitched into buildings and terrain is not possible. 

It is possible within ARMA - In Epoch, the plot pole thingies they use, don't remember what they are called, but they have physix, so when you try and place them in objects they spaz the fuck out and place them selves in a fucked up spot close to where u tried, killing u sometimes in the process :P

Id be happy with that, as a sollution - Enable physix on flags

14 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

@FluffyBunnyFee I'm pretty sure you can not move your flagpole once you place it.

They may not be able to move the flag, but the items they build on top of one to stop flag steals can be removed and replaced at will. Thus, having the need to do "something" at your flag will not curb the issue. 

" but let's face it, people don't join random servers and then immediately hit up their website for the rules." 

Actually, every single player in my group does just that every single time we start on a server and prepare to build. We make sure we don't break any rules while building.  It's called being prepared and knowing the server you play on.  To me, this flag BS is a blatant glitch/ exploit.  And the fact that some admins won't even bother to try and curb the issue loses you more players than the ones that break a rule and pay the price.  All players know EVERY server has rules.  It is their own fault if they choose not to take a couple seconds and make sure they are not breaking rules beforehand.  So,  you are more worried about losing players that willingly and blatantly exploit a known glitch, over the rest of the players on your server that play legit?   That makes no sense.  As far as I am concerned, this boils down to laziness of server admins to enforce a simple rule of no glitching or exploiting (which every single server out there has), and it will cost you more players than the ones you fear would leave because they were caught not following rules.

Would it be nice if Exile devs somehow manage to fix the issue to where this kind of thing doesn't happen? Absolutely, this would be fantastic.    But that doesn't mean in the meantime you  or anyone else as a server owner/admin cannot do something to curb the issue themselves.   

Advertisement