shahin

My thoughts on raiding.

15 posts in this topic

As much as I respect the direction of Exile mod is taking, I feel as though raiding is a step backwards. It is currently too long and tedious with almost no gain.  And the system of having a chance to break is almost worth nothing. I understand that server owners can choose the time between the charges being set (although i strongly feel exile should lower the base number to 70 seconds a charge), but having to hack into virtual garage or a safe is almost impossible especially in a full 60 slot server. Raiding a standard exile base could take roughly an hour or two, without even touching the safe or the virtual garage. There will usually be an outer wall followed by a inner wall for the loot and flag room. Once you break through two to three walls to hit the loot room, you may commence hacking. Hacking itself needs to be completely reworked. Prepping almost 100k worth of explosives (again server could vary) is not worth it at all. A chance to break whilst the entire server is notified means its almost impossible to ever get anything done. This is also a concern for people who play alone or small groups. Meaning raiding is not viable at all. I do how ever respect the time it takes to steal the flag. I also like the idea behind the person and or family who owns the flag gets notified when there base is under attack via either the xm8 and or the xm8 APP. (but not the entire server)

For anyone who reads this and hasn't experienced raiding first hand try it yourself and then express how you feel about this post. 

I would also love to hear the devs feedback on this.

Edited by shahin

You do know that hacking and virtual garage aren't part of Exile, right?

In regards to safes, I made them rather prohibitively expensive to own, so people have to use crates more. I also wish there was an object like a metal shelf that holds 5000, and can't be packed or locked. Maybe make it cost 4 poles and 3 boards to craft. I agree though, raiding a base is high risk, high cost, and very low reward, and it's been that way from the start due to safes. 

• Like 1

Advertisement
3 hours ago, Crazy Mike said:

my only problem with how they went with raiding that on "non-op" servers raiding is basically impossible especially is explosives are hard to find, besides that for the "op" servers the raiding as it is is good

use extended base mod and restrict most of the unrealistic items, among those there are a few gems that base exile would really benefit from, one being the above mentioned metal shelf ;P, the extra mod download is honestly worth it if you want balanced base raiding on high end bases

See, I had EBM installed but for some reason it caused anyone who didn't have it to crash upon attempting to join. 

It's not helping that a good portion of my logs are filled with

[2016-09-09 | 19:32:34] Player #0 <<LR>> vagabond (xxxx) connected

[2016-09-09 | 19:32:39] Player #0 <<LR>> vagabond - GUID: xxxxxx
[2016-09-09 | 19:32:39] Verified GUID (xxxxxx) of player #0 <<LR>> vagabond
[2016-09-09 | 19:46:13] Player #0 <<LR>> vagabond disconnected
[2016-09-09 | 19:46:28] Player #0 mike (xxxx) connected
[2016-09-09 | 19:46:29] Player #0 mike - GUID: xxxxxx
[2016-09-09 | 19:46:29] Verified GUID (xxxxxx) of player #0 mike
[2016-09-09 | 19:46:35] Player #0 mike disconnected

which I can't figure out for the life of me. Dunno if it's just randies who don't have Exile/Apex attempting to join, or if there's a legitimate issue with the server itself, since I don't have any issues, nor do the group of people on my TS. 

Maybe one idea to improve raiding would be adding a Charge for the safe. Once used it blows the door off the safe making it unlocked permanently, and leaving the loot inside (with a chance to destroy 1/4th of the loot).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Crazy Mike said:

helped me a bit

Still doesn't help the whole "X connected then 20 seconds later X disconnected" situation. I might look into it once I get populated again.

2 hours ago, shahin said:

Maybe one idea to improve raiding would be adding a Charge for the safe. Once used it blows the door off the safe making it unlocked permanently, and leaving the loot inside (with a chance to destroy 1/4th of the loot).

Eh, I'd rather a safe charge that just blows the lock off, so it either comes back after restart, or a player can buy a new codelock and readd it. 

Edited by The Raging Kerfuffle
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Raging Kerfuffle said:

Eh, I'd rather a safe charge that just blows the lock off, so it either comes back after restart, or a player can buy a new codelock and readd it. 

also a really good idea.

Raiding should cost a lot, it should be more of a bragging point then huge financial gain. The reason being raiding is too easy, you wait till the players that own the base are off then you hit them when you know they are at work, asleep in another country etc. Its stupid. It rewards stupid people who are able to wait till those ungodly hours to get quick loot and punish casual or older gamers. This is the main reason I stopped playing rust. If it a financial gain you will raid all the time, sending other people bankrupt and the raiders who can come on at 4am into riches. These raiders have no skill or life and do not deserve the free ride imo.

There are couple of things that should happen in raiding

- If the players are online it should be faster to hack if available
- Base raid should not happen at all unless there is 50% player base on.
- If you make raiding available at ungodly hours and do not put point B in you need to make available automatic defensive measures. Etc AI guards, AI reactionary force (could be via heli or jeep or truck this adds to your protection money bill) Automated turrets, booby traps. So there is a risk for the players
- I would always like to see timed hacks, rather then explosives it gives owners a chance to react.
- Also if a Raid happens there is a percentage chance of the who the raid was done by. If RP terms, This could be bribing a trader to get him to talk, a player bragging to a NPC in the trader zone about how he looted this base. But in mechanics wise it can give you the family or person responisble. this stop the anonymous crap, which you do not get IRL.

In raiding the advantage needs to be with the owner not the raider, else raiding imo is stupid and unbalalnced. Just like I saw in Rust and every other game that screws up raiding.

Edited by Ardem

Advertisement