John the Terrible

How to increase my FPS

14 posts in this topic

Any tips on why I'm getting so low FPS?  I suspect it's my processor. Here's my specs :

Core i5 2500k at 3. 33Ghz

MSI geforce GTX 980Ti

16gb Ram

Samsung EVO 850 ssd 

At most I get 50 FPS, 60 if there isn't much going on around me. Running and around, driving and combat gets it down to 30-40.

I'm also running at ultra settings. Maybe that's decent FPS for those settings. I don't know. 

Edited by John the Terrible

1 hour ago, John the Terrible said:

Any tips on why I'm getting so low FPS?  I suspect it's my processor. Here's my specs :

Core i5 2500k at 3. 33Ghz

MSI geforce GTX 980Ti

16gb Ram

Samsung EVO 850 ssd 

At most I get 50 FPS, 60 if there isn't much going on around me. Running and around, driving and combat gets it down to 30-40.

I'm also running at ultra settings. Maybe that's decent FPS for those settings. I don't know. 

what mouse you have ? i think problem is in mouse . So crazy FPS drops :bandit:

• Like 1

Advertisement
14 minutes ago, John the Terrible said:

Really? That must be a joke. I have something called ADX. It's some kind of nordic brand I think. It's not the best, but hardly the worst I think. It's apparently a gaming mouse. 

lol You just got trolled. I also have about 50-60 and in Combat about 30-40 and on Ultra. Also GTX 980 ti. But I use a 1440p Monitor and thus 2560x1440 resolution. I think it depends on what your settings are like; Draw distance for objects or the landscape. Maybe you should set that setting down a little and you should be good to go :)

@John the Terrible arma likes low cores (2-4 is perfect), and high clock speed CPU's. GPU's don't matter as much, arma only needs 2GB of ram, (because it's 32bit). your best bet would be to get a CPU that has low cores and over 4.0 Ghz clock speed. a GPU, a 780-1080. ram, doesn't really matter.

Arma is a bitch, regarding FPS.

There are so many factors going into the FPS. Often people forget to take server FPS into account, which may be ruining your machines FPS, regardless of how beastly the setup is. If the server FPS is low, you are not going to have good FPS on your machine either.

A friend of mine has a killer machine. i7 6400 something, superfast RAM, 1080 something GPU... still, even on singleplayer ARMA, he won't get past 60 FPS.

Basically you will profit a lot from a good CPU, then a good GPU. I switched from i5 2500k to i7 6400, retaining the GPU and it gave me a FPS boost of 15-20 frames. On the other hand I talked to people updating in a similar way with much less gains.

So... O.o

With the way Arma now loads terrain, SSD is a significant difference in stability as well.

If you can manage an overclock to say, 3.8Ghz or better, that would be the ideal first step.  I run a CPU with a 3.5Ghz base clock, in the summer I OC it to 4.1Ghz and in the winter 4.5Ghz. 

Edited by Thrash

Most of client FPS issues in multiplayer are down to the map/mission file and the state of the server you are connected to (number of constructions/vehicles/players/AI).

Try a different server.

• Like 1

Advertisement