erenior

A word to server owners

29 posts in this topic

Hello,

first off, this is not meant as a rant. i would like to hear opinions of others and of server owners if possible,

there are dozens and dozens of servers running exile. i wonder why the most servers feel like i play of any server. they dont differ much. i personally tested 25 different servers so far. they differ in chosen map and in chosen mods. some run CUP addons. Some run RHS. but they all share the fact that i usually play 10 to 15 minutes and i am full equipped. running into any kind of military building usually offers me plenty of high end weapons, ranging from DMR over Cyrus up to Navid. In other words: One shot weapons.

yes, i know you can also one shot someone with a 5.56, but its harder, especially on longer distances. those weapons are only used to sell them. I, personally, am bored when i play on a server and feel like i am in paradise: walk several hundred meters and feel like you gave command to the operator in the matrix movies that you need "a hell lot of guns". whats the point in raiding someone elses base? i go loot and got everything i need in merely a blink of an eye.

also, there are many servers that offer starting money, starting gear etc. WHY? yeah, i know, you would like to attract players. but i think there are many players like me that are bored if they got everything in a short time period... and then its boring as fck. there are usually no interactions between players besides the common "uh, i got oneshotted" from someone using a silenced <insert high calibre weapon> about 1000m away (or something like that). sniping is and will be part of any arma game, this is absolutely okay for me... but why should someone play with a lower calibre rifle?

why is it that many servers tend to run the "weapon paradise"? afaik there are several .cfg files that could be adjusted. i would like to see myself if i find something very rare. i remember the very early arma 2 dayz mod and my first heli crash site. i found a FN FAL and i was like "OH YEAH BOY" and enjoyed it a lot.

for me exile is something i like to play on the "long run" but on most servers i get my hands on everything i could imagine in very short time. and this is boring.

so, what do you guys think? perhaps some server owners would like to respond as well?

so far

erenior

p.s.: apologies for my english, its not my default language :)

Take a look at my group, http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Zxile Its easier to point you to what has already been written than restate. There is a "guide" posted that explains in more detail.

We are running an experimental concept that tries to address each one of your concerns. The whole premise of the project is to build a workable solution to current mediocrity, and your issues are in large part the driving force behind starting the project.

If you have any other gameplay/mechanics issue that isn't already being tackled by the project I'd be interested in hearing your points.

Edited by n00dles w/Oculus

Advertisement
26 minutes ago, n00dles w/Oculus said:

Take a look at my group, http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Zxile Its easier to point you to what has already been written than restate. There is a "guide" posted that explains in more detail.

We are running an experimental concept that tries to address each one of your concerns. The whole premise of the project is to build a workable solution to current mediocrity, and your issues are in large part the driving force behind starting the project.

If you have any other gameplay/mechanics issue that isn't already being tackled by the project I'd be interested in hearing your points.

thanks for your reply. i will take a look on this later this day :)

These types of questions get asked a lot during each month. Your best option is to use A3launcher, gametracker or our server page to find a server that fits what you want. We don't allow advertising in posts at all.

We have our servers tuned for realism and really taking that into a count when we build our servers!

We try to keep everything as balanced as possible. To make sure its not actually easy to survive on our servers.
And by using the new Exile reputation system, its really easy to balance the server.
But we are not looking for the players that drops of after 10 mins because they cannot find any gear eighter.

We want to keep the few that actually want to have a realistic server to play on. And in that way we can grow larger.

Time is not an issue to us, and we know it takes time to grow players. But firm and steady! :)

Edited by GZRep

I wondered  the same thing for long, and the realized that Exile is not my style of play.. while it was still in development we were all hopeful. I learnt that you can't compare it to dayz arma 2, or class it as a true survival game. Correct me if I am wrong you are looking for hardcore survival and realism, I don't think there is a mod for that on Arma 3 yet! yes server owners can customize it , reduce loot making it hard to find things, make traders more expensive etc etc, but then you run into other things that don't make sense to you and I, like fixing vehicles with tape, when you die you get marker where your body is , not to mention the health system UI (numbers rather than progress bars) , eating, and drinking is almost pointless, you hardly die of hunger or thirst, the danger is a sniper waiting around! hunting animals to keep alive hardly exists, and I dont think there is a good addon for this, base building only advantage is so players can build high towers in heavy traffic areas and use it to snip others that move by, fixing all those issues adds up to make for hours and hours of fixing  by server owners only to find that it's very very hard to attract players because they have been playing exile as PvP game for so long. they don't suddenly want to spend time looking for tires or glass to fix their vehicles, build secure base to save their rare items, you will get one or two players looting and eventually find what you describe rare items only to find that no one else has joined them on this server, they retire and go play something else and you end up with 0 players ..........

Exile is completely different game play to what you are describing, you will find most players that like to play this style have or are moving slowly to play Dayz SA, or miscreated (be it by choice or by lack of other options)

Edited by Aggro
  • Like 3

Advertisement