Sign in to follow this  
Pear78

I miss being a hero, or how to set up a server to get DayZmod thrill back?

9 posts in this topic

Told this before: Exile is bringing back something to Arma3 that everybody missed. Epoch in Arma3 missed the boat, you guys did a great job.
You keep improving and adding, not everything is how I would do it, but you guys are dóing it and doing it in style. Kudo's.

I realised yesterday, after a fight as freshy with 6 OP guys, on a server with zombs...
what I miss most from DayZ mod. I don't want to bash! I know this is not Dayz.
(btw the zombs gave away their positions, was so easy to flank em :evil grin: and so cool to shoot zombs again and see exploding heads).

But I miss it. Being a hero. The hard choices. Also in Dayz SA KOS is the way to go now. They missed the point too. I guess it's a natural process of game development, giving in to peoples needs/desires?
But the thing that made DayZ big at the start, was the lack of rules. The harshness of the grind. Being stuck in a building in need of a can opener to eat that can, zombs out side, ammo gone. Would you ask for help? Try to meet up with a stranger for help? Give your location away on 'radio'/chat? And the hero who wanted to help (get humanitarian points) had to consider if it would be a trap.. hard choices. Moral choices. It's gone. KOS is the only option. eat or be eaten.

Not sure if Exile would be the mod to talk about this, it has taken a different direction and that is fine too.
But I would love to get that feeling back, to have to make choices like that again. Thus far Exile is the only thing that even remotely touches this survival feel/subject in Arma3.
I'm just wondering if more people think the same and if (and HOW!) it would be possible to set up an exile server to get this feel back.
Helo's are all around, they used to be (the epiphany of)end game.. I remember the joy I felt on finding a bike or a shotgun, should I shoot or save my ammo choices, am I going to expose myself to help him with my can opener, so he can give me a transfusion..

How would this be possible to achieve on an Exile server ?! hard looting tables.. for sure, but what else?
Would you be interested to go back to this, do you miss it too? Your thoughts, suggestions, idea's.. shoot! (but not on sight pls ;) )

Edited by Pear78
  • Like 1

There's already a system out there for humanity that you can implement. Instead of taking regular loot tables, dedicate a significant amount of time into loot tables to make the loot specific. Weak guns spawn in towns and such or pistols only. Lower the overall spawn of everything, especially weapons. Create missions in which only a party can complete due to it's difficulty or missions that force you to work together for some reason. These are my suggestions and tips, the rest is possibly unachievable - I played back then and things are just too different now.

Edited by Steelius
  • Like 2

Advertisement

We were actually talking about it in this topic and it seems that it is hard to fill such a Server, since the hardcore Players switched to other Survival mods or Games.

• Like 1

Not exactly. He's talking about it being more like old arma 2 dayz - it's similar, but not the same. I guess his point could have been posted in there, though

• Like 1

Well, whenever people like me try to answer these questions with links to our servers that are doing exactly that, we get an infraction for server advertising in the wrong section.

Search the server ads. There are servers that are doing exactly that with Exile (mine included, though it's down for an overhaul of the loot tables after 1.0.0 at the moment)  The argument is always "But all those servers are empty." They wouldn't be empty if everyone who said they wanted this actually played on them. So patronize your friendly neighborhood hardcore survival server today, and you'll get what you want.

• Like 1

I realize it's a bit mixed topic, if it needs moving, I wont cry ;)

@papahyooie checked your profile, I'll surely come check it out!
(When it's up and when my arma stops mem crashing on server join, sigh. Worked fine till couple of days ago.. Bohemia why u do this to me :()

I don't know about player numbers that are looking for this feel too,  I wouldn't mind helping filling up a server. I would bring quit a big group.. not everybody playing every night.. but it still is usually 3-4 people easily.. which could be a problem for "lone wolf servers"? So much to considerate ;)
People seem to want instant action.. tho I played on some servers with "harder" loot tables that had a pretty consistent player base..
Would be awesome and I'm in no hurry, been looking for so long now already.

(ofc. I checked the server advertisements, but that info seemed out-dated pretty quickly.. been server hopping for weeks now (literary), I tried, but to no avail so far! ;) )

thanks for all the imput so far guys, apreciated!

Edited by Pear78

and than when you least expect it, you stumble on a server that ticks almost all the right boxes. hurray!
pretty low loot, no zombs or roaming ai and missions tough a/f.. perhaps a bit too much vehicles.. but than again, Altis is biiig.
8 people where on till restart at 3am EU.. population of these kind of servers does seem difficult, but hoping on slowly growing numbers
now we only have to see if the admins are any decent ;)

Edited by Pear78

Thanks @Pear78. I'll let you know when it's back up. Setting up a new machine right now.

I'm not even saying anyone should join MY server... just that servers are out there, and nobody ever plays on them.

• Like 1

perhaps we should combine forces with those players, if there is 5 servers with 10 man playing on them.... that's one pretty busy server ;)
tho people/owners prolly wanna fill théir server..

Advertisement