Sign in to follow this  
Patrix87

Steam Workshop

6 posts in this topic

I'll probably quite some hate for this post but it's not like if I cared anyway.

So what's the big deal with the Steam Workshop Terms and Conditions and the Arma 3 Community ?

It seams to me that the Arma 3 Community is quite frighten by it for some reasons that are not quite clear to me so far...

So here's the situation:

• You make a mod for free,
  • You want a lot of people to play it,
  • You want to keep ownership of your work,
  • You're poor because you make mods for free so you can't really afford hosting.
  • You want to track the number of downloads and subscription of your mod.
  • You want people to use the latest version of your mod.
  • You want your mod to be simple to install and use.

You could release it on the workshop to fulfill all of the above, but you won't because you're scared of Gaben stealing your free stuff ? REALLY ?

It's not like the guys wasn't crazy rich already...

I think it's a shame that so many moders refuse to publish their amazing work on the best platform there is.

I hope this trend is going to change some days because it's something that seems to be quite unique to the Arma 3 community and I feel like it's killing it.

Just a few examples:

• RHS is much better than CUP in terms of quality but still, it is not played as much because it is not on Steam.
  • JSRS is an amazing sound modification that nobody use because it is not on Steam.
  • NiArms *(HLC) could have a lot more subscribers if it was published as a single mod pack instead of 42.
  • How come Breaking Point and Epoch still even exist after Exile being fully released ?
  • Many other mods lost in the depths of armaholic or bohemia's forums.

Anyway, it's not like Arma 3 moders are not most stubborn creatures of the universe anyway, so I won't expect anyone changing their mind about this any time soon.

Link to the said agreement : http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

Edited by Patrix87

From what i understand is what ever a content creator makes then becomes the property of steam when uploaded to the steam workshop so in short Gaben owns whatever is on the steam workshop. I could be wrong though and if i am I'll stand corrected.

Advertisement
23 minutes ago, Huskie19 said:

From what i understand is what ever a content creator makes then becomes the property of steam when uploaded to the steam workshop so in short Gaben owns whatever is on the steam workshop. I could be wrong though and if i am I'll stand corrected.

true

STEAM® SUBSCRIBER AGREEMENT

Section 6 B

Notwithstanding the license described in Section 6.A., Valve will only have the right to modify or create derivative works from your Workshop Contribution in the following cases: (a) Valve may make modifications necessary to make your Contribution compatible with Steam and the Workshop functionality or user interface, and (b) Valve or the applicable developer may make modifications to Workshop Contributions that are accepted for in-Application distribution as it deems necessary or desirable to enhance gameplay.

You may, in your sole discretion, choose to remove a Workshop Contribution from the applicable Workshop pages. If you do so, Valve will no longer have the right to use, distribute, transmit, communicate, publicly display or publicly perform the Workshop Contribution, except that (a) Valve may continue to exercise these rights for any Workshop Contribution that is accepted for distribution in-game or distributed in a manner that allows it to be used in-game, and (b) your removal will not affect the rights of any Subscriber who has already obtained access to a copy of the Workshop Contribution.

Reason why the need those rights : 

Right to "Reproduce" = Right to copy it across their CDN as much as they want.
Right to "Modify" = Right to compress it, add digital signatures/checksums/hashes to it for steam to know what to download etc.
Right to "Create derivative works from" = Right to resize/generate thumbnails.
Right to "Distribute/Transmit" = Obvious, they are a digital distribution platform.
Right to "Transcode/Translate" = encrypting it on their servers, making file hashes etc
Right to "Broadcast" = if it's a video/stream you are uploading, they need the right to broadcast it.

I could not find anywhere where it says that the content becomes the ownership of Valve.

Edited by Patrix87

Advertisement