bustednuts

Low server fps

12 posts in this topic

Howdy all. I currently have a high pop exile server running on a VPS . I am running all the cup and rhs mods. I do not have all the equipment  running  from these mods . And I am running DMS and ZCP and Exilez with ryans zombies.  The server itself is a 6 core and I have all the cores dedicated to the game and I am running 4 gigs of memory . On a typical evening the server will reach the cap of 50 players.  And when it reaches about 35 or more players the server fps starts to drop. 40 or more and it gets down into the 9 to 12 fps. I have it set so only about 100 ai are out on the map when max players are reached and I am running 2 missions each max.  When the fps drops low the server monitor that is in infistar says there is about 190 threads running. Is there something I can do to increase server fps?  I also have decreased the clean up timers on dead bodies and mission objects to help .

Drop zombies and demons and it'll solve your problem. That's where all the threads are coming from. You need to rework the spawner (exilez) to assign an FSM to the zombies instead of the AI in the mod itself. The Z&D mod is horrible for multiplayer.

You might want to consider a dedicated instead of a vps, you're sharing resources with all the other vms on that host. Performance can be unreliable on a vps for this sort of thing.

4 gigs of ram is pushing it, you really should have something with more.

Advertisement
5 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

Drop zombies and demons and it'll solve your problem. That's where all the threads are coming from. You need to rework the spawner (exilez) to assign an FSM to the zombies instead of the AI in the mod itself. The Z&D mod is horrible for multiplayer.

You might want to consider a dedicated instead of a vps, you're sharing resources with all the other vms on that host. Performance can be unreliable on a vps for this sort of thing.

4 gigs of ram is pushing it, you really should have something with more.

The Vps is running 8 gigs , i have 4 assigned to the game.  At one time I tried  to run the FSM and the instructions were just bad , so it never worked. 

23 minutes ago, bustednuts said:

The Vps is running 8 gigs , i have 4 assigned to the game.  At one time I tried  to run the FSM and the instructions were just bad , so it never worked. 

So yeah, you'd probably have to unpack z&d and make an fsm out of the code he has for the AI. I figured out how to shut off his AI, but I'm trying to get other stuff done before I tackle z&d

there's a few problems here with a zombie setup. First, exilez is heavy on triggers. Triggers execute their checks twice a second, so there is a lot of overhead with that if there are a lot. Second when a zombie is created, it spawns a thread for the AI. Reassigning the ownership of the zombie to the client doesn't reassign the thread execution. So basically you're going to end up with hundreds of threads after a while.

There's also other problems with that mod, but not necessarily going to impact performance. I went through the code and just shook my head. It's really something you'd want to run single player, or a server with very few players.

You could remoteexec spawning zombies on the clients to take some of the load off, but really it'll be a pain. Again I haven't really explored fixing the z&d mod yet, so the solutions are speculative.

Overal yet, the most bang for the buck will be dealing with z&d.

TornZ is not a bet at all as it is removed from public (as other projects of him also). So forget that one...

Howdy all. I currently have a high pop exile server running on a VPS

High pop AND vps = no go

Edited by Flow

On 19/07/2016 at 1:49 PM, Flow said:

TornZ is not a bet at all as it is removed from public (as other projects of him also). So forget that one...

High pop AND vps = no go

Please note.

A VPS can handle an arma server, obviously not the best solution.

Advertisement