Sign in to follow this  
EliteScouter

Dedicated server low fps tons of resources unused

13 posts in this topic

I have a dedicated server running. Server is running Intel Xeon 2x Quad Core processors and 32gb of RAM. It's running 4 SSD's in a raid. The server runs nothing but the Arma3 game and my FPS is around 3-5 when I have around 30-40+ users in game. I am running DMS and RyanZombies with spawn scripts so there is AI and Zombies roaming but I don't understand why my server is only using 1.8GB of ram and 2 cores out of 8. 

I know there is a ton of different information out there that says you can tweak this and that but I want to know if someone on here knows a way to dedicate more resources to the process to increase the FPS.

Here is my launch parameters

@echo off
color 0a
title Exile Monitor
:Serverstart
echo Launching Server
C: 
cd "C:\Arma\Server"
echo Exile Server Monitor... Active !
start "Arma3" /min /wait arma3server.exe -mod=@exile;@RyanZombies;Kart;Mark;Heli; -servermod=@exileserver; -config=C:\Arma\Server\@ExileServer\config.cfg -port=2300 -profiles=SC -cfg=C:\Arma\Server\@ExileServer\basic.cfg -name=SC -autoInit
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 15 >NUL
echo Exile Server Shutdown ... Restarting!
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 >NUL
cls
goto Serverstart

ywJJT6D.png

EaHH0vW.png

Advertisement

Arma 3 loves fast processors, it does not care that much for amount of cores. It wants high clocked ones, the higher the clock speed is the better. What you can try is to  set processor affinity to use all cores and also set the priority to high (NOT REALTIME).  And Arma 3 is 32 bit and it really cant exceed that amount of ram. As for performance and low FPS. That is caused by your zombie mod. You see the server threads? Having 70 threads is WAY too much. The best value is around sub 20 threads. Even then 20 is sort of high. Most servers with a lot of players have around 5-10 threads max. 

See my post here on information regarding what a thread is:

Also that spawn script you use for the zombies has triggers and that is REALLY bad for performance as well. So if you wish to run zombies this way you will either have to live with the bad performance or rewrite it because it's not really optimal at the moment. :)

Edited by Defent
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, EliteScouter said:

Wow... with 47 users I was at 262 threads... Maybe I should look into putting Ryanzombies over to headless client.

Headless client won't save anything man. Your best bet here is to attempt to redo the entire code somehow or drop it. Can you link me the dynamic script you have?

2 hours ago, Defent said:

Headless client won't save anything man. Your best bet here is to attempt to redo the entire code somehow or drop it. Can you link me the dynamic script you have?

I just use ExileZ with RyanZombies

It's actually Ryan's Zombies that is the problem, ExileZ isn't terribly bad, but the root cause is Ryan's Zombies. He spawns a thread that runs in an endless loop (until the zombie dies I think, it may continue to run until the zombie is deleted actually) for the zombie AI instead of using an FSM. It is entirely possible to override this behavior in your spawner and probably assign an FSM to zombies instead. I'm going to work on fixing the Z&D mod for multiplayer performance later, but as it stands, it's really no good for running a MP server.

Changing the ownership of the zombie to a client doesn't help at all either because the running script doesn't change location. Once a zombie is spawned the AI script continues to run server side. I think TornZ had fixed  this problem, but it's no longer available. I tried unpacking the pbo from A3 launcher and it wouldn't decompile, so we're kind of stuck with poor performance for a while.

There's another issue with Z&D, the author decided it was a good idea to create a civilian unit and place it in the driver's seat of vehicles, then use hideobject, then delete it to keep zombies from attacking vehicles repeatedly. Well this can cause random deletevehicle BE kicks with nothing to filter for when players exit vehicles. It seems to have stopped a bit with the last update. At one point the unit wasn't completely deleting so it would leave vehicles completely unusable unless you entered a different seat and switched to the driver. His solution to fixing that problem was to put in a sleep 0.1 before deleting the unit. This will sometimes temporarily show the unit in the driver's seat depending on how well the client and the server is performing.

Overall Z&D really isn't meant for MP, it needs a lot of work to make it efficient for a MP server.

• Like 1

Advertisement