Lucius

Sysadmin looking to get back into Exile servers

12 posts in this topic

Considering getting back into the Exile server game, and looking for a solid group or community to work with. Made the mistake of launching a server last time without properly having a good group of in game staff to support it from the inside -- something I can't do alone, since I have a busy schedule with work.

What I bring to the table:

* I'm an experienced sysadmin / devops guy, or whatever they're calling it these days. (mostly on Unix based systems, such as Linux).

* I'm familiar with different tools to deploy servers. Either via container (Docker / Associated management tools for it), or configuration management (mostly Ansible and Puppet, but some Chef).

* I'm mature and responsible.

In simpler terms:

* Setup databases in such a way that you don't lose your data.

* Setup automated running jobs on servers (restarts, backups, potential messages to players).

* Keep your server code in a place you quickly undo your changes (IE, git. lol @ SVN).

* Automate server updates.

What I'm looking for in a group to join as a staff member:

* Mature and friendly. (IE, low drama, please.)

* Established group, looking for someone to help them run a self hosted server on a provider.

Might not find what I'm looking for, but definitely want to see what's out there this time.

Edited by Lucius
Updated description

Advertisement
2 hours ago, ShadowHog said:

Im not sure what exactly your asking for. Are you looking to join a server group or have someone join what you are starting? 

Looking to join a server group. 

On June 1, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Metalman10 said:

@Lucius Hey man, im currently need at least one more staff member for my servers. Ill PM soon and we can talk about it! Hope you find the community/server that fits your needs!

Sure, just shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

On June 1, 2016 at 5:31 PM, C][G GhostTown™ said:

Hey,

I am currently alone on my server's and the process of a overhaul and design of my server's.

Take a look at my recruitment post,

Shoot me a message if you're interested :)

PM some details about the server and your experience and we'll setup some time to talk? I"ll probably be interviewing a lot of people this weekend.

On June 1, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Drake Dalton said:

Check Gamers-HQ

www.gamers-hq.com

www.gamers-hq.com/forums

tscan3.vilayer.com:10010

I think you PMed me, so I'll get back to you. We'll chat this weekend probably.

Sorry about the delayed response. Been quite busy this week with work. 

On June 1, 2016 at 0:39 PM, Vontickle [20th AIB] said:

How did you not work this out from the original post lol, pretty clear cut to me.

Yep. Then again, unless you're in the world of lots of servers, you're probably not using the terms like Config Management, Continuos Deployment, and Docker on a regular basis. Now that I think about it, it's probably like gibberish to most people.

17 hours ago, Lucius said:

Yep. Then again, unless you're in the world of lots of servers, you're probably not using the terms like Config Management, Continuos Deployment, and Docker on a regular basis. Now that I think about it, it's probably like gibberish to most people.

Only the most laziest of developers will know about and appreciate these terms.

Everyone else is busy congratulating themselves by justifying how the time they waste manually doing these things is somehow better than stepping out of the low aspiration horizon they live in.

Advertisement