NoMercy-NoRegrets©®™

no players

149 posts in this topic

So the title kinda says it all... we had 30 players + playing on our server, all very happy about our server... but the last maybe 3 weeks we lost like all our players... when i look around on servers that were popular i see that a lot of servers has lost their players... its so sad :-( we will probably close ours down if something doesnt happen soon.

I have the same issues.

Seems like the Franky hype is over and people are playing the next populair game like the devision.

To bad because servers are developing in a good way.

Someone call Frankie to do a 50 episode series like arma 2 Overpoch and the mass will come.

• Like 1

Advertisement

You should update your username to NoMercy-NoRegrets-NoPlayers©®™ :P

That's a joke :/

Anyway, same issue pretty much everywhere.

I think a bunch of them went to Namalsk and the rest probably for The Division.

Anyway, Exile is not dead, but summer is coming, so don't expect a big boost in the number of players anytime soon...

Well maybe Tanoa will bring back a few sometimes in May.

Good luck with the server.

• Like 5

It started all the way back with the debacle that was the 1.26 release.  Servers were unplayable for a week or more at what seemed like the peak of interest in Arma3.  It got worse recently with the release of Fallout 4.  Now, I think we're well into the long plateau of Arma 3.  We've had 3 or 4 Steam sales in the past 12 months but they haven't brought in significant numbers of new players.  

I don’t mean to be negative but I also don’t see it getting any better.  BIS have to shoulder a lot of the blame.  For 5/6th of its life Arma 3 has not been up to the standard that most people expect from a modern game.

Edited by speedweasel

I don't blame anyone, it's just the way it is ..was the same with arma 2.. and yet there are still a bunch of players on a2 epoch, dayz, and overpoch etc .. the same here .. whatever is the new shiny thing  .. but I host out of my house .. thanks to gigabit fiber.. if no one plays is ok .. I do .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chainsaw Squirrel said:

I don't blame anyone, it's just the way it is ..was the same with arma 2.. and yet there are still a bunch of players on a2 epoch, dayz, and overpoch etc .. the same here .. whatever is the new shiny thing  .. but I host out of my house .. thanks to gigabit fiber.. if no one plays is ok .. I do .

I agree. This has to be expected. Gamers are fickle, most rarely stick to one game longer than a  few months, actually weeks is usually more likely!  I've had a gaming clan/'community since 2002 and we've seen this time and time again and it's partly why we don't focus our support on specific games and just follow our members' trends. The majority of gamers will just "game-hop" to the newest big titles, with a couple of their more favourite titles as their fall back games that they constantly go back to  between other releases  - like CS and LoL etc. 

I think the best Exile can expect or aim for (and what I believe it is actually doing) is to be the leading mod for Arma 3 as A3 is one of these more consistent PC titles that gamers return to because it is developed long term and isn't one of the flashy (EA style) annually updated titles - i,e, all gimicky games released every year and then quickly forgotten about before a new game is released (how Battlefield has gone). 

BI & Arma are definitely the stable platform to use for mods and A3 already has that hook in feature being one of those returing games to keep gamers coming back to it. Exile is already proving that continuously developed mod taht is now, in my opinion, the best mod on A3 - certainly the best of all the survival/sandbox games at the very least!

If Exile continues to steadily develop and constantly gives new features and quality gaming, it will always have that appeal for those of who love the genre and will consistently support the game, but also provide the reasons for those more casual players to keep coming back.

Unfortunately though we all have to prepared to accept that this mod will follow in similar mods from A2 before it and see peaks and troughs in its activity and there will ALWAYS be more servers than players (or seemingly!!) .

I would just advise to stick with the title and not to worry too much about players. The more consistent and stable Server owners/admins/developers I feel  should probably look to work together more and aim to provide more consistency among the community though - e.g. looking towards the more commonly used and better quality mods etc as having multiple different mods further fragments an already dwindling community. The less casual players have to to to quickly pick up and  play, the better it is for all of us.

This is why I have always said the development team need to  consider this and potentially reduce it by have all the hefty downloads front end with the  exile client download. Standardising as much as possible. I know this is unpopular with some and it kind of runs against the grain of what the developers are trying to do in providing more of a framework for admins, but longer term I think it  benefits the mod as a whole. 

Like everyone else, we have seen our servers population reduce slightly. It was only really launched January and it was quickly gaining population but has struggled in recent weeks. While it still remains consistent, numbers are low. While I appreciate we run a modded server with Bornholm being a specific "flavour" of Exile, this recent drop in population has forced us to consider our approach . We are looking to follow the community in our provision of mods. While we have opted to continue to offer Bornholm as an alternative map, we have recently been reviewing our provision of MAS weapons and are looking to replace it with CUP as this seems to be a more commonly used set of mods over MAS. 

I appreciate this is only a small change and most would argue that A3 launcher is simple to use in regard to mods, but I genuinely believe every little step to reduce complications and obstacles for clients helps. This is what I feel the community and the developers need to consider more. 

Edited by Boxman80
  • Like 3

The number of players has and will always fluctuate.  I used to run Arma 2 Epoch/Overpoch servers and we would often go through periods where no one comes.  Then out of nowhere it would be buzzing again.  It's a cycle.  I run a dedicated machine located in someone's house.  The only bill to pay is the electricity, basically nothing.  I can ride out a drought of players pretty much indefinitely. 

With the player/server ratio being the way it is, losing a few servers needs to happen. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Boxman80 said:

This is why I have always said the development team need to  consider this and potentially reduce it by have all the hefty downloads front end with the  exile client download. Standardising as much as possible. I know this is unpopular with some and it kind of runs against the grain of what the developers are trying to do in providing more of a framework for admins, but longer term I think it  benefits the mod as a whole. 

have to say I agree with this 100%, the only reason I run TRYK and RHS is due to the lack of clothing, weapons and vehicles in vanilla Arma 3. 
The vehicle additions in Exile are nearly at a point I would consider removing RHS were it not for the weapons in RHS.

For me Bohemia should have made the content from Arma 2 a paid DLC for Arma 3 rather than releasing it for the community to make CUPS, that way you could practically guarantee people would have it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, second_coming said:

have to say I agree with this 100%, the only reason I run TRYK and RHS is due to the lack of clothing, weapons and vehicles in vanilla Arma 3. 
The vehicle additions in Exile are nearly at a point I would consider removing RHS were it not for the weapons in RHS.

For me Bohemia should have made the content from Arma 2 a paid DLC for Arma 3 rather than releasing it for the community to make CUPS, that way you could practically guarantee people would have it.

BI have definitely dropped a bollock in not offering previous Arma content as at least DLC, if not for the game but for the community they know is mod happy! As you say Exile is almost at a stage where vehicle content is pretty good (it can ALWAYS be better though ;) ) so we dont need to worry too much about vehicle mods but because CUP is so popular, now like us most are considering it "essential" for their servers as clients want it and its about 6gb of downloads because it has to come as a collection of 3/4 mods (vehicles/units/weapons/base addons?) .

BI's shortsighted error is forcing the Exile community and dev's hand now as we all demand more content to the base mod and in fairness its a big ask!  For me, the quickest and easiest way is for CUP (or similar ) could be just added to exile client to standardise content issues.

I'm sure these a bloody good reason it hasn't and I expect that to be a major ball ache for the devs but we are at a stage where the community needs consistency.

@Rangecreed This is what I talked about last year when you shot me down in flames for heavy client downloads (I now have a very smug face).   

Edited by Boxman80

Advertisement