Brez

Choppers eating gas quickly

17 posts in this topic

Is this an Exile issue or Arma?

Seems like it's always the Hellcat that eats gas extremely fast.  If I recall correctly you can just sit in the pilots seat and not even have the engine turned on and you can watch the gas deplete.

Also the server has the CUP vehicles and the Huey is available. Got it just to find out it has the exact same issue.. Eats gas like crazy.

What's the deal?

Gas burn ration is ok for Arma 3. Over all helicopters burn gas pretty fast depending on the engine and tank capacity, weight , crusing alt. I worked on flight operations for a while around Chinoocks, Blackhawks and Kiowas and the range and fuel capacity was always something striking. 

Here are some comparison when thinking gas burn rations. This numbers are in the real world. You can take this numbers and you compare the burn ration to each aircraft accordinly in Arma 3. By no mean are they suppose to be exact or close to each other but example is one aircrat range 1000 and the smaller one 250, then you have to assume you make the smaller one burn fuel 3 x faster.  Just like in real life. So that  is why I would think they burn just as fast in Arma 3

Numbers rounded for real world

Little Bird - 232

Chinook - 1216

Blackhawk - 1380

Wild Cat - 777

Huey - 315

This numbers would indicated that the Little Bird should burn rate faster followed by the Huey so on and so on.

Edited by Cofresi
  • Like 1

Advertisement

@Cofresi, @Mrwhite

You guys are missing the point.  Certain helos used in exile will literally drain the tank in minutes just running the engine up to takeoff RPM, sitting still on the ground.  I think I ran an orca out of fuel flying from a trade zone to the NW airfield on Cherno map.  So, I ran around and found 80L worth of fuel (4 cans) and filled that into the Orca.  I turned it on to attempt to fly to a fuel statation and it burned the 80L before the rotor spun up to takeoff RPM.  Certain helos are not working right in regards to fuel usage.   

The OP describes a problem with a helo from a Mod, but I've experienced it in some helos from Mods as well as stock Arma 3 helos used in Exile.  So, that would seem to indicate the problem is not in the way the modded helo was done. 

Again, an Orca will fly around Altis without running out of fuel.  If it runs out of fuel flying a shorter "distance" on Cherno, in Exile, something is wrong somewhere.  Further, I've used and orca and little bird in stock Arma 3 Altis and compared with Exile Altis and the fuel burn is quicker. 

So, is the problem In exile?  Problem with Cherno map and what the distance "flown" is?  I'm not sure if fuel use is done by time or distance.  But the fact that helos use fuel faster in Exile Altis compared to Arma 3 Altis seems the problem is within exile, not the map, but I don't know how al the pieces fit together.

Either way, the OP's problem is not just "helos use fuel quickly".  Something is actually not working as intended with some helos, in exile.

• Like 1

Wow... i been playing the mod since it came out... and yes it takes fuel fast... but if you run out of fuel on the ground it is most likely because you land it to hard and it gets a leak... but the littlebird and hellcat can easily take 2-3 trips accross the map... and there are like gas stations for every 4-5 km... so it shouldbt really be that hard

• Like 1

Mercsn, Did you fill it up with premium jet fuel or that cheap gas station unleaded. it does make a difference. on the burn rate. plus youll ernd up messing the enghine with that cheap stuff. :-p

Edited by Cofresi
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NoMercy-NoRegrets©®™ said:

Wow... i been playing the mod since it came out... and yes it takes fuel fast... but if you run out of fuel on the ground it is most likely because you land it to hard and it gets a leak... but the littlebird and hellcat can easily take 2-3 trips accross the map... and there are like gas stations for every 4-5 km... so it shouldbt really be that hard

But, if that littlebird is using fuel faster in Exile Altis than in Arma Altis, there is a problem somewhere, unless that was intended by the devs.  Try an orca, that thing is seriously insane fuel usage in exile compared to stock arma 3.   Again, the point the OP is making is that fuel rates for *some* helos seem way off in Exile.  I read somewhere that there was a bug involving fixing helos with duct tape and then the helo would have a permanent fuel leak.  But, aside from that, some just seem to use fuel much faster than in stock arma (or they ALL use fuel much faster and just the ones with very large fuel tanks aren't as noticeable).

13 minutes ago, Cofresi said:

Mercsn, Did you fill it up with premium jet fuel or that cheap gas station unleaded. it does make a difference. on the burn rate. plus youll ernd up messing the enghine with that cheap stuff. :-p

That time I filled it up with 80L and ran out while the rotors spun up was in Chernarus....so cheap 30 year old eastern bloc gas : /

• Like 1

Well i would think that its intended... and ive never sern an issue with it... never had anyone on my server complaint about constant fuel leak... the only chopper issue we have right now is the cup choppers... pack the blades up and fold them out again and boom you have full fuel 

Wasn't there a problem with choppers, specifically Orca on the OTHER Mod? Refuel broken fueltank before you have repaired it results in permanent leak?

Have you checked that problem with a new, buyed chopper too?

Advertisement