Sign in to follow this  
핀들톤

Going to start a server

25 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm going to be upgrading my CPU soon from an i5 4670k to an i7 4790k.  I've also got an extra R9 270X lying around. With the extra CPU and GPU, I want to go the whole mile and just setup my own Exile server.  

Specs will be:

• CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz
  • GPU: R9 270X 
  • RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 8GB @ 1600Mhz
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB

I have two questions:

First, what operating system should I try to use?  I don't want to shell out for another Windows license.  Then again, I have absolutely no experience with Linux.  Any suggestions?

Second, with the rig mentioned above, what kind of server FPS might I be expecting?

P.S. I'm thinking of setting up this server because I live in South Korea.  I have a very fast and very stable internet connection.  The main reason that I'm considering starting this server is that there are quite a few Korean players, but there is a dearth of Korean servers for whatever reason.

Anyway, thanks for the input in suggestions, it will all be appreciated.

Regards,

pindleton

If you want to play it by yourself or with few friends this will be cool, but very fast and very reliable connection is not enough to host a server. the hardware is more than enough i think (personal opininon). But to properly host a server you need at least 10Mb UPLOAD( thats smallest offered by hosts ive seen). Linux is a bitch!(this only what i heard)

Advertisement

Hey,

i host my server (if he runs someday) on Linux. At the moment Windows is by far the best option to run it. Many of the moders are not think about the Linux community. And if you are a Linux beginner you have no chance. Linux is the better server os but with windows you get far more support from the community. Most hoster have windows on there server running.

Buy a license for windows (or take it for free / just saying) thats the better way. Linux is nothing for a fast start.

I run my Linux server for 3 years now and im far away from being pro.

But thats only me ;)

Edited by Fendo

Linux is always the best answer; however, you don't really need much experience to be able to properly install and the Arma 3 to work on Linux.
You could easily find topics on exile that will lead you to getting it up and running.

Rig looks good. I run servers on a similar rig. Depending on your internet connection and how many players you want to host you would do fine. Keep it under about 50-70 players and your performance will be fine. However, two thoughts:

1. Don't use linux if you're a beginner. If you're interested in learning about linux, then it might be a great time to start. But if you want a fast time to production, you won't get it. You'll need to learn a bit about linux first. Setting the server up on linux will be easy. Supporting it on the other hand will not be easy. Use windows if you have the opportunity. 

2: Lose the graphics card. Your server has no need for a graphics card beyond the integrated graphics on the board or CPU. Heck, I run mine headless so it doesn't even have onboard graphics chip. I just remote into it. It will just be creating unnecessary heat. That i5 has a graphics chip integrated on it if you need to be able to hook it up to a monitor.. You have no need for the graphics card.

As papahyooie said you don't need the GPU and the rest should work fine.

You can sign up for Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-technical-preview and use that for the preview period, i run TP 3(TP 4 is out but i haven't updated yet) of that one right now and only thing i ran into was drivers for the onboard NIC, i can probably just use a Win 10 driver but i hav and extra Intel NIC lying around so i put that in which WS2016TP had drivers for.

If you have access to extra public IPs i would use those so you can set up the server outside of your router(if you use one).

Edited by Cael817

23 hours ago, papahyooie said:

Rig looks good. I run servers on a similar rig. Depending on your internet connection and how many players you want to host you would do fine. Keep it under about 50-70 players and your performance will be fine. However, two thoughts:

1. Don't use linux if you're a beginner. If you're interested in learning about linux, then it might be a great time to start. But if you want a fast time to production, you won't get it. You'll need to learn a bit about linux first. Setting the server up on linux will be easy. Supporting it on the other hand will not be easy. Use windows if you have the opportunity. 

2: Lose the graphics card. Your server has no need for a graphics card beyond the integrated graphics on the board or CPU. Heck, I run mine headless so it doesn't even have onboard graphics chip. I just remote into it. It will just be creating unnecessary heat. That i5 has a graphics chip integrated on it if you need to be able to hook it up to a monitor.. You have no need for the graphics card.

not really headless if its got a integrated GPU :)

On 12/25/2015 at 3:04 PM, Valthos™ said:

not really headless if its got a integrated GPU :)

Just because it has an integrated gpu doesn't mean it has to be plugged into a monitor. 

Advertisement