TroyT

Windows Server 2016 Crashing

Question

Does anyone have any experience with Windows 2016 crashing servers?  We're migrating our servers to new boxes and changing to 64bit exe's and DB.  We keep running into an issue with the game instance crashing within a few minutes of a player joining.  If no player joins, the instance will run until restart or indefinitely if we have no restarts scheduled. We use TCAdmin and thought that the interface might be causing it but it's not.  We've installed game instances with WS 2016 on 3 different boxes in 3 different countries using TCAdmin and using standard command line starts and it's always the same. We've also tested many different bandwidth tuning configurations.  These tests have been done with our main game builds as well as with completely vanilla Exile instances.  I just wiped one of the test boxes and installed WS 2012 R2 and everything's stable.  The obvious and "easy" solution is to just use 2012 but we already have 10 game instances configured as well as all of our support software.  I'd prefer not to start from scratch and with an older OS.  I read on another forum about someone having this issue and they messed with the RAM settings in the BIOS and it seemed to correct itself.  Our BIOS has no RAM settings.

Our hardware:
2 x 2.4GHz Octa-Core E5-2630 v3 Haswell  (16 Cores)
128 GB DDR4 RAM
2x480 GB SSD
1Gbs port

Edited by TroyT

5 answers to this question

Is your Server crashing with an exception ? (or at least something from your EventLog? )

Have you tried to install the Vanilla ArmaServer and run it once to see if it crashes too ?

• Like 1

So after extensive testing, I can say that it has nothing to do with ExtDB3 or Exile.  Launching the vanilla A3 in 64 bit crashes that same as any other configuration.  32 bit is stable.  Since the above post, Windows Server 2012 R2 started to crash in the same way.  There are no memory exceptions. The event log has a couple of errors, but nothing that should matter.  There's an issue with TCAdmin trying to log in unsuccessfully but I'm getting these crashes when I bypass TCA altogether.  I've gone back to WS 2016 and will do more experimenting.

Advertisement

mmh ..if even vanilla arma crashes...you can try to reinstall directx and the Vcredist versions. maybe they are faulty?

Yeah, we've done that.  With this behavior spanning several machines and both OS, it seems to something systemic.  I just can't figure out what.

Edited by TroyT

It turns out that this was an issue with TCAdmin querying processes and shutting them down... even game instances that it hadn't started.  CHanging the query protocol fixed it.

Advertisement