TroyT

Hosting servers with AWS - Amazon Web Services

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience using AWS for server hosting? It looks good on the surface but it's almost impossible to figure out how mush it will cost and if it will server out purposes. We have 8 Exile servers and some other games as well. We're currently with EoR dedicated but it just never seems to be enough. 

Hello @TroyT,

I was curious too, so I looked 'for a little bit'.  I did not see one Exile server with them, though they say that they can 'do a game server'.

The only thing I could say is look at all the MAJOR businesses and how they are using it.  Amazon MUST have something going on and doing it right, for they are NOT the only 'business' like this around, and all the 'major players' are 'flocking' to Amazon.

That does say something 'good' about them.

I think you best bet would be to contact them and talk to them.  Then work a deal (or what you can of a deal) and put ONE server and just see how it goes.  And this 'deal' is, well, if you're their 'first' Exile server and you have that many you would port over, this is BIG ADVERTISEMENT for them, especially, if you say you would come on here and 'tell how good it is'...  ;)  I think it would 'behoove' you to look into that....

:)

Edited by Z80CPU
  • Like 1

Advertisement

I'll let you know what I find out.  I just upgraded my support level with them to see if I can pay for some straight answers.

• Like 1

I've been in contact with a rep and it doesn't seem practical.  Even going with a pretty decent instance type it would have issues once the player count got over 40. That would mean using multiple instances at about $175/mo.  

I'll probably end up with a couple of boxes at OVH.

Advertisement