OldManRix

Cross Server Economy

7 posts in this topic

I've seen this idea done on the KOTH servers. What I'm interested in is player's money (and respect for Exile) carried across multiple servers. Is there a more simple way than editing exile.ini to?

Advertisement
16 minutes ago, Haywood Voltiac said:

@OldManRix You could share the databases with each server but territories and shit will carry over as well

Yea, I realize that. Been brainstorming ways to only share the tabs and respect.

Hello @OldManRix,

There is ONE way (and more ways than likely), though, you would have to rewrite some things and DB's are NOT in my "realm of expertise".

What you could do is to break the main  DB into 2 separate DB's; One for money/respect, and the other for everything else.

Then adjust all scripts to use the 'new' DB for money/respect.

This WOULD work in 'imaginary land', in the real world?  I am not too sure.  There are 2 issues that MUST be overcome for this to be 'workable':

#1 - The DB computer would need to be able to handle all request from multiple servers at one time

#2 - The internet connection between the 'main' DB server and the Exile servers would have to be EXCELLENT as to prevent lag.

It IS possible and I have shown one way it COULD be done...now...the rest is up to YOU!

:)

Hello @OldManRix,

Another way that I just thought of is pretty unique, but would work most likely even better and would avoid the above post's issues.

What you would do is to encrypt those 2 values and upon exit, store them into the player's profile space.  Upon joining an appropriate server, it would look for those values, and if found, decyrpt them based on a shared key between the 'agreeing servers'.  Upon this, it would be written to that server's DB and used from that point forward.  When player leaves, it re-saves those values.  It would also save the date/time as well so that if the player's computer dies, upon re-joining, it would use the time stamp to determine old data versus new data.

Simple but effective means.  And by sharing this key, hundreds of servers could 'join in'.

I can think of no 'issues' to this method myself unlike the one above.

:)

Advertisement