DavieReid88

Home Dedicated System

12 posts in this topic

At the moment i'm torn between buying my own dedicated box system for hosting my server or renting a dedicated system from for example Online.net, My question is if i'm hosting from my home will this have an impact on my internet for playing games, I THINK its all about your upload speed for server running? and download speed for general playing (I might be wrong) As much as I love running my servers I still like to play other games online and so does my other half, Having a server from home will this effect me in anyway? Or am i better just renting a dedicated system? At the moment i rent a dedicated game server not a system. Thanks

if you do not know how to install your OS/setup permissions on windows server, have your own windows server licence, or know linux, do not go with online.net, we rent from them. you have to do everything, there is no support unless you pay 35euro extra a month.

been told soyoustart is good

and pricing is good, if u do need a windows licence leased then price is an extra 20 or 30 a month.

also been told webtropia offers decent services.

If you want to host from home, i would only do that if you have a decent isp, 150mbps, dedicated IP and not really a public server, but private for you and some friends.

Edited by tinboye
  • Like 1

Advertisement

@tinboye My internet is good = download speed its about 220, 12-13 upload speed and IPS is rated 3 out of 5 stars?, I know how to run a server from windows i use TADST running it on this computer for tests and so on. And as for changes and updating certain mods its a hell of a lot quicker updating through my computer than the provider i use. Just have the worry if its going to slow my gaming down because my server some days has 40+ in it, Just not sure what to go for.

if you use tadst with exile, i suggest you checkmark the config override box to manually use the exile's config.cfg or you will run into problems.

what do you use? or recommend.. TADST is the first one i seen i only use it for a test server but id be looking for something better if it was a more permanent official server.

Hello DavieReid,

i concur with TinBoye on using BEC.  I use it myself as well and it is the best and fairly easy to 'get going'.  Just a note, and I forget how, but you have to 'block' BEC from 'calling home' or it will 'hang'/not run.  I forget the exact steps.

As far as a computer.  You can use Win7 and up.  You do NOT have to have a true 'Windows Server'.  That is a lie.  I ran mine on Win7-64 and is now upgraded to Win10-64 - plain ole home OS.  See:  https://arma3.com/requirements

I would avoid linux, as there is very limited support for ARMA from anybody.

It also sounds as if your internet speed would be fine too.  For how many people?  That I cannot answer.

I run a personal server at home with an Intel dual core, 4gb, 10 down/3 up and I can get about 3-5 people without major issues.  Do note, this server is purely for testing...   ;)

So, I am sure you could run a semi-decent one without issues!

Try it yourself for as long as you can.  Then, if your computer/internet cannot 'keep up', THEN pay for one.  UNTIL that time, you will be saving $$$!  :)

Also, all you would have to do is upload stuff to the rental server and in theory; swap from home server to paid server in less than 5 minutes.

You never know till you try!  You have nothing to lose except MONEY;)

:)

• Like 1

the part about blocking ibattle.org

you open notepad as administrator

then open hosts file under c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

then add

127.0.0.1 ibattle.org
127.0.0.1 www.ibattle.org

then save the file

use

http://www.legiongaminghq.org/converter

to convert your steam64 ID to an arma 3 GUID which is placed in the admins.xml

If you do not wish to use the admin commands

then add --dsc to the bec commandline

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5CNJXtxfDbETDhwZ0R2RHRBT1E

here is the latest bec download as the ibattle.org site is down.

plugins folder has rarr'd copy of all plugins as well.

forgot to mention the scheduler is also setup for 6 hour restarts

Edited by tinboye
  • Like 1

@tinboye @Z80CPU Thanks for your input, I've decided to rent a dedicated server from QualityGameServers, I just dont want to buy a rig and have the servers running on my home network and it having a effect on me playing and regret spending the money! I've looked at the reviews and it seems good and reliable, I'm just home and away to give BEC a try on this PC, Thanks

Edited by DavieReid88

Well, I was under the impression that you already owned a second pc...oh well...  ;)

And thank you TinBoye for 'refreshing' my mind on the host file.  It has been so long, that I forgot what needed to be set and too lazy to look...  ;)

What I would suggest to you Davie, to help save you time and money, as well as help keeping you from losing players, is to set up the server on your home pc.  Get all bugs worked out, and any/all mods installed and working perfect.  THEN rent the server.  All you have to do (basically) will be upload the files.  So that when you 'turn it on', you will be 'ready to go', as opposed to taking the server up and down to fix stuff all the while aggravating players.

Good luck with your new server!

:)

Edited by Z80CPU

Advertisement