wetNreckless

Home PC Dedicated Server

17 posts in this topic

Advertisement
3 hours ago, Crazy Mike said:

long term cheaper then renting, and there is no difference then renting if you have a spare machine in your house that can run the server fine

Right now I am running my server off the same rig that I play on, which isnt bad since only a handful of players are on it at a time. But I almost have another one build that I plan to dedicate solely for yhe server. 

3 hours ago, GolovaRaoul said:

If you're connection is not terrible I'd say give it a shot. Upload speed is important

My upload is usually over 10mps so is that good? I have been seeing some latency server side when I have 4 or so players on.

With 60 players connected I have between 4 - 12 Mbit Upload.
But at server restarts there are peaks ofcourse.

But speed is not only important. It's also stabilty (ping, package loss, etc...)

I've done it many times, since the Arma 2 DayZ days. As long as you've got a decently strong machine and a good internet connection, it's no different than renting one. The best part is,  you have full control over everything on the server, so you can do some cool custom stuff if you want. 

• Like 1

It's what I run - i7 3.6Ghz, 16GB RAM and an SSD for quick restarts. Internet connection not very fast (1Mb/s upload) but it's a private server for a small number of players and we've never had any problems as ping and packet loss is very low. Only at player connection when I've done a mission file update does anyone notice the low internet uploads that I have currently.

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 7:08 AM, GolovaRaoul said:

With 60 players connected I have between 4 - 12 Mbit Upload.
But at server restarts there are peaks ofcourse.

But speed is not only important. It's also stabilty (ping, package loss, etc...)

That is very nice that you have that many players. I hope to have that one day, but for me this is simple a side project for my friends and I.

6 hours ago, Riker2335 said:

It's what I run - i7 3.6Ghz, 16GB RAM and an SSD for quick restarts. Internet connection not very fast (1Mb/s upload) but it's a private server for a small number of players and we've never had any problems as ping and packet loss is very low. Only at player connection when I've done a mission file update does anyone notice the low internet uploads that I have currently.

I never thought about putting the server on an SSD. I should probably do that qhen I get my dedicated rig done.

42 minutes ago, wetNreckless said:

I never thought about putting the server on an SSD. I should probably do that qhen I get my dedicated rig done.

SSD barely makes difference. It's really just for server boots. When the server is fully loaded it has barely disk activity

Advertisement