1Vincent Van Goat

Best specs for a server?

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm looking at renting a new server from ovh(the best value for money hosting company I found) and have a choice between a 20 core xeon which runs at 2.6ghz and a 4 core i7 which runs at 4.7ghz. Before everyone jumps on the more ghz is better bandwagon I did some tests and found that when I gave my server more cores 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 and then used the HT cores on my current box the server FPS increased by around 3.5 for each core I gave it. The server uses all the CPU resources I throw at it because it is full pop. This seems to fly in the face of all that I have read about arms only using at Max 2 cores and never more than 4 so I am now tempted by the 20 core. Why is this so? Would it make more sense to go with the 20 core and offset the speed drop with more cores?

Advertisement

If you are struggling running your server on a 4790k you need to look at optimising your scripts and mods you use and/or reducing your player cap and AI count.

Also, I don't know what map you run but from my experience Tanoa runs like a fucking turd in comparison to other maps (Altis/Chernarus/Napf/Namalsk etc), so that's another thing to consider.

As a comparison my Cherno server runs about 10-15fps faster than the Tanoa server with double the AI and the same number of players.

Edited by second_coming
  • Like 1

@1Vincent Van Goat

Your 4790k is perfect for run Arma 3 serveur for the hight frequency.

My recommandation to you is to set affinity tread in your task manager.

You dedicated the 4 first tread to the Arma 3 server and the 4 last to all the rest of the app you run on your server (including MySQL).

Like that you have 4 clean tread just work for your server and the first tread have more hight frequency than the last one, you gonna gain 20%-25% more performance like that. 

And you set the priority to hight by default.

Probably you have a app monopoliz your CPU by intermitence and that make your CPU unstable.

Let me know if that help you.

See the link for more infos.

304667d1391423458-processor-affinity-set

Advertisement