Georgie

Dedicated Server Performance

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm looking for a secondary opinion:

I'd like to know how many Exile Servers you believe could be ran on the following server specs, imagining that they were 50 slots servers each one containing average of 15 players:

• Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 4c/8t @ 3.2GHz
  • 32GB RAM
  • 2 x 240GB SSD's

AND

• Intel Xeon E5 1620v2 4c/8t @ 3.9GHz
  • 64GB RAM
  • 3 x 300GB SSD's

Many thanks,

George.

Edited by Georgie

Simple test it.  I Think nobody can say how manny server will Run without Problems ther.  U can Run 20 Servers with 1 arma Installation and

case1 - in perfect case

100 Players on all Servers. Without Problems.

Bec all 2000 Players just be afk and do nothing. 

Case2- World case

5 Players on all Servers.  U get database crashes and serverlags.

Bec they Fond a funny Bug for Spam a trader request to spawn vehicles. Or somthing else. 

So its Not a real question how man gameServers can be Run on a server. 

U need to ask how manny World case Szenarien can ur server handle.  

• Like 1

Advertisement
10 hours ago, Warsheep said:

Simple test it.  I Think nobody can say how manny server will Run without Problems ther.  U can Run 20 Servers with 1 arma Installation and

case1 - in perfect case

100 Players on all Servers. Without Problems.

Bec all 2000 Players just be afk and do nothing. 

Case2- World case

5 Players on all Servers.  U get database crashes and serverlags.

Bec they Fond a funny Bug for Spam a trader request to spawn vehicles. Or somthing else. 

So its Not a real question how man gameServers can be Run on a server. 

U need to ask how manny World case Szenarien can ur server handle.  

I know. I wasn't really asking for a full exact evalutation, it was just a rough estimate, hence why I said an average of "15 Players". 

Thanks anyway

Hello, @Georgie

These are prices from OVH correct.

These are good servers.

-----------------------------------------------

From a technically opinion and look, you can have:

let's say 4GB RAM for each server, so 32 / 4 = 8

You could from a RAM and application perspective you can have around 8 servers. All running at the same time.

Now for 64GB I would say 10 servers, now yes, that doesn't use the same "equation" but, if there was a core and thread increase to accompany the RAM difference, then I would say 16 servers.

Now to also looking at @Warsheep's response, I have ran so many servers on different boxes and even VPS (which are sliced Dedicated Boxes). I would say, to minimize your problems, do one server, and test it, for about a week, just plain vanilla.

Then copy and keep a backup, that you won't run, then paste new servers, and change the parameters to suit each server location and then add each mod that you want and every mission to see if it works.

In @Warsheep words: "Simple test it."

7 minutes ago, JackCapwell said:

Hello, @Georgie

These are prices from OVH correct.

These are good servers.

-----------------------------------------------

From a technically opinion and look, you can have:

let's say 4GB RAM for each server, so 32 / 4 = 8

You could from a RAM and application perspective you can have around 8 servers. All running at the same time.

Now for 64GB I would say 10 servers, now yes, that doesn't use the same "equation" but, if there was a core and thread increase to accompany the RAM difference, then I would say 16 servers.

Now to also looking at @Warsheep's response, I have ran so many servers on different boxes and even VPS (which are sliced Dedicated Boxes). I would say, to minimize your problems, do one server, and test it, for about a week, just plain vanilla.

Then copy and keep a backup, that you won't run, then paste new servers, and change the parameters to suit each server location and then add each mod that you want and every mission to see if it works.

In @Warsheep words: "Simple test it."

I will be doing some testing to see the capabilities. However from my knowledge I'm not liking your "RAM & Application" perspective. I may be wrong here but ARMA is very much not only dependant on RAM. In fact I know I should seriously be considering the CPU More here, In specific - Clock speed. RAM Is of course a big player, but the CPU more.

I think I've got enough research done around the forums to make a decision now, thanks for your help.

But a question, he has mentioned a Xeon E3 and E5. Is there much performance difference between these CPU's, apart from the clock speed (for an arma server ofcourse)?

Advertisement