Pavillin

Personal Dedicated Server Suggestions

25 posts in this topic

Alright, so I've been having this question for some time but was unsure where to ask it. Though this question doesn't entirely deal with the ExileMod specifically, I thought this was an appropriate place to ask.

I am interested in purchasing a physical dedicated server box to run servers off of from my home. To be clear I don't intend to be the next CCG, I simply want to use the box to run a few servers to play with a few friends. Now I don't plan on having all of these servers online 24/7, only a few I intend to have running all the time.

Here are the servers I'm interested in running, to be on the safe side lets assume that 10 players could be on any of the servers without issue:

• Arma 2 - DayZ Overpoch (Not 24/7)
  • Arma 3 - Exile w/ multiple addons (Not 24/7)
  • Minecraft - w/ mods +100 (24/7)
  • Teamspeak -  (24/7)

I'm not looking for a box that's going to cost an arm and a leg, lets keep it realistic here. I need something powerful enough to run these server but it doesn't need to be powerful enough to run them all at once ( I'll never have them all running at the same time ).

So, down to the real deal. What should I be looking for that can do what I want? Should I look for a server box or should I build one in a PC case? This where I run into trouble, I'm not sure what I need that will do what I want. If those of you that know a thing or two on the hardware side of things could make some suggestions that would be awesome.

Also I live in Canada so if you could please keep that in mind when suggesting hardware I don't want to pay an absurd amount in shipping fees. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me :)

Advertisement
11 hours ago, Pavillin said:

I'm not looking for a box that's going to cost an arm and a leg

You won't have much luck if you don't want to spend; dedicated servers cost a lot of money so you'd probably be better off building a normal computer and just running servers off that. Server hardware is so much more expensive than client hardware.

2 hours ago, Pavillin said:

I assume I wasn't clear enough but I'm not interested in renting, I want to buy one and have it setup in my home. Nonetheless thank you for your suggestion.

If you don't have 250+/250+ internet speeds , it's not worth it and i advise you to rent, the most expensive thing is going to be the cpu, you have to buy a top-notch CPU else arma will shit on that box.

• Like 1

We're running an exile server on an i5 2500k with 8gb ram running Linux, which sits in my room.  It runs as almost as good as our previous rental with GTX for the small amount of players we have. I'm not sure what you'd need if you're looking to attract a lot of players though. 

Also, it means we have complete control and never have to wait for support.

and apart from the small amount of power it uses, it's free once setup.

Edited by Bud Weiser
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nathan said:

You won't have much luck if you don't want to spend; dedicated servers cost a lot of money so you'd probably be better off building a normal computer and just running servers off that. Server hardware is so much more expensive than client hardware.

What I mean is I'm expecting to spend but nothing crazy like 5k I would be able to do around 2k.

2 hours ago, StokesMagee said:

If you don't have 250+/250+ internet speeds , it's not worth it and i advise you to rent, the most expensive thing is going to be the cpu, you have to buy a top-notch CPU else arma will shit on that box.

I have rented a box with an i7-4790k and that ran Arma 2 fine, not sure if Arma 3 is much different. Also I currently run servers off my personal PC and internet wise there's no issues.

2 hours ago, Bud Weiser said:

We're running an exile server on an i5 2500k with 8gb ram running Linux, which sits in my room.  It runs as almost as good as our previous rental with GTX for the small amount of players we have. I'm not sure what you'd need if you're looking to attract a lot of players though. 

Also, it means we have complete control and never have to wait for support.

and apart from the small amount of power it uses, it's free once setup.

I worked on some servers that were hosted by GTX and had an awful experience, I've also rented a dedicated server which I had full control over which is what I want now; I just want to buy one not rent one. Moving on, I am mostly looking to have servers to play with my friends not random people. The Arma server I plan to use basically as test servers to let me test new scripts I make (I know, expensive hobby) the other server (Minecraft, TS, etc) are the ones that would have no more than 10 people on at a time and woud be running 24/7.

Again I appreciate everyone's feedback :) I'm not interested in renting or starting a community, simply a playground for myself & friends also a testing area for myself. I just don't want to keep running everything on the PC I use now I want something that's dedicated to only providing servers for myself and friends.

Edited by Pavillin

Yep, the less said about GTX the better.

We usually have between 5 and 10 players from all over Europe, and all report good ping and FPS. Also, our previous box was a windows 10 thing, which incredibly took nearly 10 minutes to lad arma to a playable state. Linux completes the startup / load territories, everything in less than 15 seconds. 

51 minutes ago, Bud Weiser said:

Yep, the less said about GTX the better.

We usually have between 5 and 10 players from all over Europe, and all report good ping and FPS. Also, our previous box was a windows 10 thing, which incredibly took nearly 10 minutes to lad arma to a playable state. Linux completes the startup / load territories, everything in less than 15 seconds. 

Interesting, I'm familiar with Windows and OSX but I have never used Linux. Maybe the slow loadup time was because it wasn't running off an SSD? Regardless which Linux do you use (if there's more than one) and I'll do some research on it.

Advertisement