GolovaRaoul

SSD required?

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

Im planning on hosting multipile exile servers on 1 dedicated machine.

Im planning on renting a server at SoYouStart, with 32GB DDR3, 
Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 @ 3.4GHz, and 250 mbit bandwith.

First question, I think this server should be able to run mutlipile Exile servers, right?
Second question, do you guys recommend an SSD for this project? I've heard that I might run into IO problems with 'just' a HDD, and I've heard that it won't change much, only boot time of the server. So should I go for an SSD or not?

Thanks for responding!

Paul

( Link to the server I want to rent, I don't mean this as an ad: http://www.soyoustart.com/en/essential-servers/ , right now I'm looking to the E3-SSD-5 )

You could probably run 2 servers if they are low population (under 20 players) depending on how many AI and mods you are intending to put on the server.

You're right about the SSD, it only really make a difference in server start up times. However, if it's a busy server I would recommend going for the SSD otherwise you may have stability issues when everyone is trying to log on straight after server restart.

Advertisement
8 minutes ago, GolovaRaoul said:

Why only 2 low populated servers? What's the bottleneck here?

the e3 Xeon line is the entry level of server hardware

Edited by second_coming

Okay, so CPU shouldnt be a problem, RAM neither ( 32 gb should do just fine lol ), and an SSD would do better than an HDD. It also offers 250mbps bandtwith which should be more than enough.

So this hosting company should be able to run Exile servers, right? Just want to make sure im making the right decision :)

5 hours ago, second_coming said:

better to go in with low expectations than to expect to be able to run Nasa from your server :D

Agreed with this. Don't cheap out and future proof by going overkill. :D

Advertisement