purealtis

Is this enough?

10 posts in this topic

Processor is on the low side. But it may work depending on what mods you are running and the number of slots.

If you contact us we can give you a quote on a dedi :)

Advertisement

50 may be a push, remember ARMA isn't multi threaded, so will only use around 2 threads.  You are better going for faster cores, rather then more cores. 

I would aim for the 3ghz range minimum on the low end Xeons. Most of the quad core Xeons are around the 3.5 mark.  

you'll be fine, ram is what your worried about, for me personally I use 8GB of ram per server, and have 4 dedicated to OS. My server is running on a celeron, you'll be more than fine.

On 1/28/2016 at 6:42 PM, QGS said:

50 may be a push, remember ARMA isn't multi threaded, so will only use around 2 threads.  You are better going for faster cores, rather then more cores. 

I would aim for the 3ghz range minimum on the low end Xeons. Most of the quad core Xeons are around the 3.5 mark.  

His CPU is 4.5ghz............

As for ram, the executable can't address more than ~3 gb anyway. 

To the OP, your server is far more than capable of running multiple servers. Due to the fact that Arma 3's executable can only address finite resources, it doesn't matter how fast your server is, it won't hold up with more than about 60-70 players without tanking the framerates. That being said, your machine is fully capable of handling multiple servers with 50 players. 

6 minutes ago, papahyooie said:

His CPU is 4.5ghz............

As for ram, the executable can't address more than ~3 gb anyway. 

To the OP, your server is far more than capable of running multiple servers. Due to the fact that Arma 3's executable can only address finite resources, it doesn't matter how fast your server is, it won't hold up with more than about 60-70 players without tanking the framerates. That being said, your machine is fully capable of handling multiple servers with 50 players. 

The E5520 is not 4.5ghz. Its 2.26, most likely his host has done a silly marketing trick of multiplying the ghz together due to the two processors. 2.26 x 2 = 4.5ghz rounded. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, QGS said:

The E5520 is not 4.5ghz. Its 2.26, most likely his host has done a silly marketing trick of multiplying the ghz together due to the two processors. 2.26 x 2 = 4.5ghz rounded. 

Very well... You got me there. I didn't check up on the specs. Assumed he knew what the speed of his processor was, and took him at his word. I apologize. *sheepish* 

In that case, OP I retract the first part of my statement. You're going to want a faster processor. (speed, not cores.) Having two processors isn't going to help performance of a single server instance. In that case, a whole processor, and half the other will be wasted. Arma 3 can't address two processors. You could however, run multiple instances with lower player count. 50 will be pushing it. 

Sooo.... Kudos to OGS. He's right, and I'm an idiot. You should probably listen to him... 

I can say that running a server with dual E5540s would be a push for 50 players so a E5520 is even worse. I didn't run my server as vanilla, but I did have to hugely reduce the number of AI. I ended up putting a 32 player limit on it simply because it couldn't handle the load. The best thing to do is to upgrade to a single desktop processor with 3.5GHz+. I upgraded to a i-7 4790k which runs at around 4.4Ghz most of the time and the difference is amazing. Also if you're hosting it yourself... (Most likely don't have a fiber connection anyway) you can get server motherboards that support that i-7 and that have integrated remote management (Super important if you happen to be 3000 ish miles away from the server most of the time).

If you stick with the E5520 you can try using headless clients, but if the server is having fps issues then the headlessclients aren't going to do much anyway. I would recommend sticking with 8Gb of RAM, even using four headlessclients on my machine I only used about 7.2Gb of ram.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

I understand the how duel processors aren't good for game servers now. What do you guys think of this:

E3-1240v2 @ Base: 3.40GHz Turbo: 3.80GHz

2x500gb SSD

32GB Ram

10TB Bandwidth

Thank you guys!

Advertisement