Pineapple

Possible to run Exile server on PC?

8 posts in this topic

So i've been thinking about hosting an exile server for a while and was wondering if I could host it on my PC, I know most public servers either run on paid hosted servers or their own Dedi boxes used specifically for game servers, I will only be hosting it for me and a few of my friends, my specs will be below. If its not possible or will be to high of a load, can someone recommend some cheap paid for server hosting for exile servers.

Specs:

Intel i5- 4690K not overclocked

8GB Ram

Gtx 760

Your PC would be able to easily handle a low pop server (<40 players). Your issue will be your internet connection, you need a decent upload speed to run a server. 

I would try it for nothing before spending money on a hosted server though.

Edited by second_coming

Advertisement

I have tried hosting a server but I wasn't able to get it to work, are there any crystal clear tutorials for running an exile server, along with being able to run mods on the server etc.

• Like 1

On 18.1.2016 at 4:40 PM, DirtySanchez said:

Install mysql, setup db for exile.

Install exile server as you would on a dedicate box, on your pc. 

Setup and configure as you would on the dedicated box.

Run server ;) 

now this is a tutorial!! :D:D 

but seriously... this here: http://exile.majormittens.co.uk/topic/8368-server-installationupgrade-guide-0941-clementine/?page=1 is all you basicly need. if you need other maps or mods, I'm sure someone could help. i got an utes deathmatch server running, took some time, but there are no magic things to do ^^

• Like 2

An SSD makes for a world of difference if you want to run your own server. I dont see bandwith to be an extreme problem but you might want to reserve atleast 10/10 mbit/s  of what you got so you dont hog everything when updating other machines on your network. Also if you can, get an extra public IP so you can run the server outside of your "home" router.

On 1/18/2016 at 1:02 PM, Pineapple said:

So i've been thinking about hosting an exile server for a while and was wondering if I could host it on my PC, I know most public servers either run on paid hosted servers or their own Dedi boxes used specifically for game servers, I will only be hosting it for me and a few of my friends, my specs will be below. If its not possible or will be to high of a load, can someone recommend some cheap paid for server hosting for exile servers.

Specs:

Intel i5- 4690K not overclocked

8GB Ram

Gtx 760

My specs are similar(My CPU is worse), and if its for you and few friends it should be ok, although you might find it a bit laggy sometimes if you also play on the same machine, it might be worth it to lower your Arma 3 RAM usage(your game). If you are willing to pay some buck to have less stress on your PC http://www.fakaheda.eu/en/herni-servery/arma-3-server is quite cheap, but you have to set most of stuff up yourself(they helped me a lot though and are there for me in case of problems, and performance is compareable if not better than GTX server i had). If you go for rent you save yourself port forwarding and installing other soft like Hamachi.

@Cael817 is so correct as well, even just for your game only its worth it... Especially if your HDD is as old as mine.... xD

Advertisement